[LCA2013-Chat] The "Crowd-Sourcing TBL" Fundraiser

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 22:18:23 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Mary Gardiner <mary at puzzling.org> wrote:
> I don't think anyone has sent this here yet?
>
> Notes: I am not in any way responsible for or benefiting from this fundraiser.
> (I contributed $20 to an earlier informal version Jeff Waugh was running.) I
> know everyone paid for the conference, but if you got especial benefit from the
> TBL tour or know someone who did, you may be interested.

I quite strongly disagree with this.

The TBL Koolaid has been drunk far and wide. In expressing my opinion,
I expect that many of my friends will be Very Angry Indeed - no more
so than Pia Waugh who did an amazing job of bringing TBL to Australia.
Pia, I apologise unreservedly for what I am about to say.

First off, I have to say that two years ago when we started organising
LCA2013, I put my head up to suggest that TBL would be an awesome
keynote. Back then, I had no idea we might get him. And thanks to Pia,
we did.

Tim wants more than two hundred thousand Australian dollars to be in
Oz for a week. Of course not every cent goes to Sir Tim, but let us
imagine flunkies and taxes suck up $100k... it's still not a bad
paycheck.

As our very public financials will show, LA paid more than $20,000 to
Sir Tim and other sponsors made up the balance of the more than
$200,000 he asks for.

My opinion is that Tim is and was a terrible public speaker and we
paid a lot of money for an empty shell.

I will not support an effort to give him any more money.

--
mc